I just found out that Sheilah Beckett- an amazing illustrator who has managed to stay active for the better part of the last century- just passed away this November at the admirable age of 100.
I only discovered her work earlier this year, but I fell in love with it almost immediately- it’s sexy, it’s stylish, and it has an aesthetic sensibility that manages to be timeless and relevant even by modern standards. I see so much of what I want to be in her work- her flawless lineart, her stylization of form and shape, her impeccable eye for lavish historical costumes. It’s crazy good.
We owe so much to the pioneering female illustrators who came before us- if you haven’t seen her work before, try to take a moment out of your day to look her up, like her facebook page, revel in her raw talent, then get out there and make some art! We’re part of a noble and damn proud tradition, and we owe her that much. :)
A great great Lady passed away….
Source and more here : http://todaysinspiration.blogspot.ca/2013/12/in-memory-of-sheilah-beckett.html
"At the time of her passing (100 years old), Sheilah was working on a new "Little Golden Book" for Random House - illustrating The Nutcracker - and working digitally, with a Wacom tablet in Photoshop"
Such an inspiration, such an example ….
ITS TIME FOR THE ANNUAL OMOCAT CHRISTMAS GIVEAWAY!!
many good things have happened, OMOCAT has grown so much, and my life is forever changed :>
here’s a little thank you to all my followers and supporters!
1) FIRST PRIZE: 1 OMOCAT APPAREL in the size of your choice (while supplies last) new items that may be released this following week are also eligible for the prize
2) SECOND PRIZE: 1 OMOCAT POSTER, PRINT, or BOOK of your choice (while supplies last) new items that may be released this following week are also eligible for the prize
3) THIRD PRIZE: 1 OMOCAT STICKER SET/STICKER or ACCESSORY of your choice (while supplies last) new items that may be released this following week are also eligible for the prize
1) reblog the entire post to enter the giveaway! likes do not count gomen ~_~
2) EDIT: you may only reblog once! multiple reblogs apparently don’t work anymore because tumblr’s new system only shows the most recent reblog. also, no giveaway-only blogs! i’ll be checking >:(
3) i will be choosing 3 winners randomly. i will painstakingly copy-paste each blog name in a random generator, and have the generator pick the winners for me
4) the winner will be chosen this weekend on the midnight of DECEMBER 16th. i will be sending out asks to let you know if you’ve won so please make sure your ask is open! if you do not reply within 24 hrs, i will have to choose another winner!!
5) i will provide free shipping! (yes, even international)
good luck!! once again, thank you all and happy holidays!!!!!
Sorry for the occasionnal food spam, but man, poutine. Can’t eat it, still fascinates me :)
Ma ville à Noël c’est la plus belle de toutes 🎄
Missy, my precious baby, MY MUSE
I’ve been playing some Mass Effect 3, to take an occasional break from my hardcore, highest-difficulty-setting campaign of Animal Crossing (so punishing). But of all the things to gripe about in this game, I find myself getting really distracted and annoyed by the women’s alliance uniform.
Like, GUYS, does it really need to vacuum-seal to every contour? Seriously, does it really? Look at this, for instance. And here’s a more unbiased example (that I didn’t scribble on).
At the very least, it looks totally out of character on my particular Shepard (and so do the new, gendered running animations, for that matter). I really like some of the armors, though. I’m not a total grinch.
Anyway, I drew a loose t-shirt version of the uniform, for self-soothing purposes.
I so agree with this point! :)
Always reblog pics of good ol’ Quebec City :)